POKHARA AND BEYOND
- Pokhara is… “A lakeside city in the foothills of the Himalayas. Great for trekking, sightseeing and adventure.”
- Watch festivals, eat local dal bhat, and experience the Indian and East Asian influences
- Climb up to Sarangkot village and watch the morning sun illuminate the snow-capped peaks
- Kayak across Phewa Lake, and walk up to the peace pagoda
- Go whitewater rafting, trek through the Annapurna foothills, and paraglide above Pokhara
- Village Healthcare Week: Learn about rural healthcare and community life when you live with the Gurung people in a mountain village.
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
Private and secure, our Pokhara house has spacious rooms and a relaxed and sociable atmosphere. The rooms are bright and airy, and our rooftop terrace has spectacular views of the mountains.
Our Pokhara Program Manager oversees everything at the house. With the help of an assistant, they’re available for 24/7 support. Meals are cooked twice a day by our chef, and a cleaning service is provided by our housekeeper. Our local language teacher gives group lessons twice a week, and we host a weekly house BBQ night, which is always good fun.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
In addition to your main placement in Pokhara, for one week you’ll have the chance to be welcomed into a family home in the Himalayan Mountains, an experience you’ll remember throughout your life.
Staying with the community for a full week, you’ll assist at a health outpost each morning, treating local villagers with very limited resources — making this a real contrast to your clinical placement in Pokhara. In the afternoons, our guide will show you how to wear traditional clothing, bake local bread and prepare authentic Nepalese meals. You’ll also be invited to trek to Hindu temples and to visit the local schools.
Placements in Nepal - Pokhara
"We conducted an MRI and found a grapefruit-sized tumor in his brain. It was too big to safely remove."
Karissa Wikander, Champlain College 2018Read more
"During the month I spent in Pokhara, I made unforgettable memories with amazing students from all over the world."
Jack Gilbert, Robert Gordon University 2018Read more
"This trip has boosted my confidence not only within a clinical setting but also in travelling alone."
Hannah Mainprize, Northumbria University 2018Read more
"I hope to visit again one day, I could not recommend this placement more."
Dominic Lowe, University of Manchester 2018Read more
"I faced the sometimes confronting realities of healthcare in Nepal."
Elisabeth Revenich, 2018Read more