ANURADHAPURA AND BEYOND
- Anuradhapura is… ‘A magical city of UNESCO-listed ruins, Buddhist culture and beauty.’
- Visit candlelit temples and be blessed by local monks
- Sip tea, learn how to pick your own leaves, spot wild elephants, and take scenic train journeys
- Kick back on sunny Sri Lankan beaches and snorkel with sea turtles and reef sharks
- Sri Lankan’s are exceptionally friendly, with a good sense of humour – look forward to taking part in festivities, and enjoying some of the country’s best cuisine
- Ayurveda Week: Enhance your experience with a week in a remote Sri Lankan village, learning about traditional herbal medicine in an Ayurvedic clinic.
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
Set in a charming neighbourhood on a tree-lined street, you'll love staying at our Anuradhapura house. When you're not on placement, you could be relaxing in our indoor courtyard, swinging in a hammock on the outdoor rooftop, or having fun at one of our weekly BBQ nights. You can also look forward to comfortable bedrooms, spacious social areas, and a vibrant atmosphere where you can hang out and chat to new friends.
Available for 24/7 support, our Program Manager and assistant oversee everything at the house. Our housekeeper and chef are also there to take care of the cleaning and to cook two tasty meals a day. Twice a week, we arrange for a teacher to give local language lessons.
Our week-long Ayurveda experience adds a fantastic extra dimension to your clinical placement in Anuradhapura.Ayurveda and other traditional forms of healthcare are practised in Sri Lanka alongside modern medicine.
Our Ayurveda experience gives you the opportunity to gain firsthand experience of this ancient holistic practice. Each morning, you’ll visit a rural clinic to learn how the doctor uses forest plants and barks to create Ayurveda treatments and medicines. In the afternoon, you'll experience exciting activities and cultural trips. From Ayurveda massages to canoe trips, ox rides and wild elephant safaris, it’ll be a week you never forget.
Placements in Sri Lanka - Anuradhapura
"My trip to Sri Lanka was just incredible. I learnt so much and made some incredible new friends along the way."
Erica Patterson, Monash University 2018Read more
"The Work the World house was truly a home from home, the staff ensured that it felt comfortable and allowed us to just treat it like a home."
Amy Hindle, University of Central Lancashire 2018Read more
"I learnt so much that I have taken back to my healthcare practice in the UK, and I made friends for life."
Isabelle Lunn, University of Manchester 2017Read more
"My one piece of advice for anyone considering the Ayurvedic week is to go in with an open mind"
Ashley Lowery - VILLAGE HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE, Michigan State University 2017Read more
"My advice to someone considering a Work the World placement is absolutely do it! It’s one of the most amazing experiences!"
Claire Emmerson, University of Hertfordshire 2017Read more