TAKORADI AND BEYOND
- Takoradi is… “A colourful city in historic west-coast Ghana, with bustling markets, lively locals and street carnivals.”
- Take a trip to the Volta region and swim by waterfalls, or head to Kakum Park and follow treetop canopy walks
- Canoe through the jungle, spotting wildlife on the way and discover remote stilt villages
- Soak up the sun on Axim’s and Cape Coast’s palm-fringed beaches
- Get a taste of authentic Ghanaian culture when you eat, shop, and socialise at colourful local markets
- Village Healthcare Week: Gain firsthand experience of rural healthcare and culture by spending an additional week in a remote Ghanaian village.
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
You’ll be staying at our traditional Ghanaian house, which has spacious rooms and a great outdoor space. The interior has a modern feel, with a communal lounge, dining room and balconies. Our outdoor area is a perfect place to relax after a day on placement, with its gardens and open spaces for chilling-out, playing volleyball, and enjoying our weekly BBQ nights.
Our Takoradi Program Manager oversees everything at the house. With the help of an assistant. You’ll also have a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (weekly BBQ nights are a lot of fun), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
In addition to your main placement in Takoradi, spending a week in a bustling fishing village on Africa’s West Coast offers a once in a lifetime experience. This experience gives an authentic taste of Ghanaian culture, and adds a whole new dimension to your placement in Ghana.
Mornings are spent supporting other medical staff at the village healthcare centre and conducting some community outreach at local schools. In the afternoons, you could be helping fishermen haul in their catch, canoeing across the lagoon, or walking through the shallows to the ruined island castle. There’s also a local gin distillery to visit, coastal trails to explore, and tourist-free beaches to watch the sunset from.
Placements in Ghana - Takoradi
"If you are contemplating a Midwifery elective with Work the World… stop reading, and start planning!"
Carleen Simpson, Swansea University 2017Read more
"My advice to anyone considering a trip with Work the World is: make it happen".
Sarah Mabbott, Bournemouth University 2017Read more
"The village week is a must. It was truly the highlight of my whole trip to Ghana."
CLAIRE DYER, King's College London 2017Read more
"The experience gave me more passion to do the best I could for the patients I came across."
EVA DE GEUS, 2017Read more
"I saw my first ever birth – which was then followed by six more – a definite highlight!"
Natalie Sampson, University of Southampton 2016Read more