Latin America, a group of countries in the Western Hemisphere. Bordered to the north by the USA; to the south and west by the Pacific Ocean; to the southeast by Guatemala, Belize, and the Caribbean Sea; and to the east by the Gulf of Mexico.
Merida in Mexico
Mérida is located in the state of Yucatán, only 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. Also known as the ‘White City’, Mérida has been the cultural capital of the entire Yucatán Peninsula. Mexico offers year-round sunshine.
Famous for its Mayan history and culture, as well as some of Mexico’s most important archaeological sites. This city offers a laid back charm and buzz, brought by its contrasts.
Food markets are bursting with exotic fruits and vegetables, local bars offer live music and restaurants offer the delights of Mexican cuisine. Add to all of this, the stunning coastline is only 30 minutes away from our house in Merida, meaning after placement there is time to go for a dip in the ocean.
The Work the World house in Merida is in an affluent area in the northern part of the city.
Both of our partner hospitals are easily accessible from the house. The malls, the city centre, and the most popular bars and restaurants are a stone’s throw away. The house has lots of social space, including a private pool and a terrace. But there are plenty of quiet areas if you want some time to yourself.
Most popular student trips:
- Progreso Beach - Only half an hour away from our house. Lined with hundreds of restaurants and bars (and the world’s longest pier), Progresso is the perfect beach to escape to after placement finishes.
- Cancun - Known for its stunning white-sand beaches, crystal clear Caribbean sea and of course nightlife and restaurants - a weekend trip to Cancun is a must!
- Cenotes - Merida is home to some of the most beautiful and intricate underwater caves and caverns in the world. You can swim, snorkel and dive through these clear water caves - truly a once in a lifetime experience.
- Celestun - Home to secluded beaches and thatched-roof restaurants. Take a boat trip around the mangroves or spot the hundreds of thousands of flamingos that congregate here.
- Chichen Itza’s - Chichén Itzá is a complex of Mayan ruins with a massive step pyramid, known as El Castillo or Temple of Kukulcan, dominates the ancient city.
Spanish Language Course
If you’re thinking about going to Mexico with us, it might be worth considering our Intensive Spanish Course.The 30-hour course gives you everything you need to start using conversational Spanish. You start with the basics, and move to clinical terminology and phrases that will give you confidence in the hospital. Lessons take place Monday to Friday in a Spanish language school in the city your placement is in. You can discover more about our Spanish Course here.
Our Consultants will be able to talk you through all our programs in more detail, if you would like them to get in touch, please fill out the short form. To see our full range of destinations click here.