LUSAKA AND BEYOND
- New for 2018!
- Lusaka is… “The unmistakably African capital city of Zambia, with an eclectic mix of everything from lively bars and restaurants to traditional handicraft markets.”
- Visit ‘the smoke that thunders’ otherwise known as Victoria Falls and try white-water rafting down the Zambezi River
- Zambia’s has over 20 game parks, where you can see elephants, lions, rhino, impala, buffalo, zebra, and giraffe
- Head to Siavonga, found on the edge of a vast lake, for beaches, boat rides and sunset beers
- Zambian people are proud of their culture and tradition and passionate about sharing it
- Rural Health Week: To understand the challenges of delivering healthcare in a rural setting, spend a week with a rural community and working in a district hospital
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
The Lusaka house has a welcoming feel, and with spacious living areas like the lounge, dining room, bedrooms and balconies, you’ll have plenty of space to socialise with new housemates after placement. The area outside offers space to enjoy the warm weather or to find a spot to relax with a book.
Running the house are the Programme Manager and their assistant — they’re there to provide support 24 hours a day. There’s also your chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (weekly BBQ nights included), your housekeeper, and your language teacher who hosts twice-weekly lessons.
RURAL HEALTHCARE WEEK
Spend a week in a rural village — in addition to your city-based placement in Lusaka — to gain insight into Zambian culture at its most authentic.
Attend the village’s healthcare centre in the mornings to work with a specialist whom you’ll help to treat the local community. In the afternoons, you’ll get a local culture lesson, spending time trying out a range of activities — from learning how to prepare local dishes, to exploring the stunning surrounding areas.