DAR ES SALAAM AND BEYOND
- Dar es Salaam is… “A teeming vibrant city that was once a fishing village. Home to a melting pot of cultures.”
- Enjoy bustling bars, restaurants and live music venues
- Cross the water to the island of Zanzibar and stretch out on its white sands
- Venture inland to safari across the savannah, looking out for the big 5
- The people of ‘Dar’ are welcoming – do as they do, and greet everyone in Swahili: ‘jambo!’
- Village Healthcare Week: An unforgettable week in a rural community. Living in the mountains, you’ll learn about healthcare and culture away from the city.
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
A few hundred metres from an Indian Ocean beach, our Dar es Salaam house has a great setting. Sleeping and social spaces are separate, with two private cottages for the bedrooms, plus our main building for eating and socialising. With plenty of spaces to relax, our huge garden is a great place to come back to after a day on placement where you can hang out with new housemates.
Our private house is run by our Dar es Salaam Program Manager and their assistant. Available round-the-clock, they’re here to support you throughout your stay. Also on-hand is our housekeeper and chef. Our chef prepares two delicious meals each day, plus a weekly BBQ night that’s not to be missed. Visiting the house twice a week, our local teacher hosts regular language lessons.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
A truly worthwhile addition to your Dar es Salaam clinical placement, our week-long village experience gives you the opportunity to live in a remote African village on the western side of the Uluguru Mountains.
Each morning, you’ll visit a busy primary healthcare clinic to observe and support the rural healthcare program – a complete contrast to your urban experience in Dar es Salaam. Free time is spent joining in with local activities, such as visiting local waterfalls and primary schools, cycling to sugar cane plantations, and learning traditional drumming and dancing.
Placements in Tanzania - Dar es Salaam
"I cannot thank the team at the hospital and Work the World enough for giving me this amazing, life changing experience and friendships that will last a lifetime! It was truly perfect!"
Emily Ware, University of Greenwich 2017Read more
"I would definitely recommend a Work the World placement. I’d go back to Dar es Salaam tomorrow if I could."
Rachael Bowis, Manchester Metropolitan University 2017Read more
"I highly recommend a Work the World overseas placement".
Tamalee Henson, University of Western Australia 2017Read more
"I would absolutely recommend this experience to anyone considering it".
Samantha Scoggin, University of Michigan 2017Read more
"I can honestly say it is the best decision I have ever made."
Julia Mooney, Glasgow Caledonian University 2016Read more