ARUSHA AND SURROUNDINGS
- Arusha is… “A vibrant city that serves as a gateway to the Northern safari circuit. Surrounded by lush plains and endless adventures.”
- Set off on a Serengeti safari, spot the big five along with zebra, antelope, cheetah, and more
- Journey across Ngorongoro crater, or climb Mount Meru and enjoy stunning views over the African plains
- The laid-back locals are friendly, and easy to chat to – before you know it, you'll have a host of new friends
- Village Healthcare Week: Our additional Tanzania week sees you living as a member of the Maasai tribe, experiencing local healthcare and tribal culture.
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
Staying at our Arusha house, it’s only 15-minutes by ‘dala-dala’ to the centre of Arusha. A great social hub, our house has comfortable bedrooms and a choice of places to eat and relax. From the balconies you see Mount Meru on clear days, and our sunny garden is a beautiful place to come back to and chat to your housemates after a day on placement.
Our Arusha Program Manager and assistant provide round-the-clock support, and are in charge of running the house. A chef cooks two tasty meals each day, as well as a weekly barbecue night which always goes down well. You’ll also have a housekeeper, and language lessons are offered twice a week from a local teacher.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
In addition to your main healthcare placement in Arusha, you’ll have the chance to spend an extra week in Tanzania and live with the Maasai people - learning about their way of life is an experience you’ll remember for the rest of your life.
Our village healthcare week sees you living in an enkang (village enclosure) with a Maasai family, and working in the local dispensary. Welcomed as one of the tribe’s own, you’ll learn about traditional healing practices, paediatric vaccinations, and discover local solutions to challenges like malaria. In the afternoons, you’ll experience Maasai culture and traditions with the help of our guides. From watching traditional dance, to visiting sacred sites and witnessing a goat sacrifice, this is an eye-opening opportunity you’ll never forget.
Placements in Tanzania - Arusha
"The time I spent in Tanzania was genuinely the most amazing experience in my life."
Sarah van der Valk, Maastricht University 2016Read more
"The Ngorongoro Crater was the most stunning place I have ever been"!
Ellen Smith - Safari and Massai VHE, Liverpool John Moores University 2016Read more
"We rode piki-piki’s and watched a famous Maasai tradition - the goat sacrifice".
Saskia Van Ool - Maasai VHE , Maastricht University 2016Read more
Living with the Maasai tribe is an experience I appreciated immensely.
Naaz Ahmad, King's College London 2015Read more
Our visit to the Maasai village was an unforgettable experience!
Juliana Jeffri Jee and Nasrah Mohd Arif , University College Cork 2015Read more