ILOILO AND BEYOND
- Iloilo is… “A city with eclectic culture and a Filipino soul, home to Spanish architecture, modern malls, and beautiful beaches.”
- Always smiling, the local Ilonggo people are open-hearted and incredibly good-natured
- A short boat trip away, Guimaras Island beckons with huge mango plantations, and fire-heated ‘kawa baths’ in its beautiful mountains
- Boracay and the Gigantes are the places to go for pristine beaches, watersports, and island hopping adventures
- Village Week: A week on an island with the Ati tribe is an incredible opportunity – you’ll be immersed in island culture as you learn about local healthcare.
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
Located north of the Iloilo River in an upscale neighbourhood, our house has views of iconic Molo Church, and beyond to Guimaras island. The living and dining spaces are well-furnished, and there’s plenty of space to relax and socialise. No matter what time of year, the sunsets from our rooftop terrace are stunning.
From the day you arrive, our Iloilo Program Manager is available for 24/7 support. Along with their assistant, they run the house and oversee the rest of the team: our housekeeper, chef and language teacher. Our chef cooks two tasty meals each day and, each week, we have a BBQ night for the whole house. Our teacher provides in-house language lessons twice a week.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
Adding a whole new element to your healthcare placement, our optional village week sees you living with the Ati tribe on a tropical island, learning about local culture and healthcare. Your experience begins by meeting the tribal Chief and taking a tour of the community. Throughout the week, you’ll visit the local clinic and hospital to learn how healthcare is managed using very limited resources.
Each afternoon, you’ll be involved in everything from weaving and handicrafts to traditional games, herbal medicines, and island hopping along the coast. On your final day, you’ll enjoy a BBQ and traditional dancing ceremony.
Placements in the Philippines - Iloilo
"In the rehabilitation center, I saw things I had never seen during my training in Belgium..."
Anouk Vertonghen, 2018Read more
"You’ll look back on this part of your university life and think, ‘I wish I could go and do it all again’"
Jahrell Romain, University of Hertfordshire 2018Read more
Going abroad on my own was one of the scariest choices I have ever made. But it turned out to be the most rewarding experience I have ever had.
Colette McGreevy, Manchester Metropolitan University 2018Read more
"The Philippines is, without a doubt, my favourite country..."
Niamh Doran, Dundee University 2018Read more
"Life in the village exceeded my every expectation. My advice, if you’re considering a week in the village? Do it."
Radha Mehta - VILLAGE HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE, University of Plymouth 2018Read more