ILOILO AND BEYOND
- Iloilo is… “A city with eclectic culture and a Filipino soul, home to Spanish architecture, modern malls, and beautiful beaches.”
- Always smiling, the local Ilonggo people are open-hearted and incredibly good-natured
- A short boat trip away, Guimaras Island beckons with huge mango plantations, and fire-heated ‘kawa baths’ in its beautiful mountains
- Boracay and the Gigantes are the places to go for pristine beaches, watersports, and island hopping adventures
- Village Week: A week on an island with the Ati tribe is an incredible opportunity – you’ll be immersed in island culture as you learn about local healthcare.
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
Located north of the Iloilo River in an upscale neighbourhood, our house has views of iconic Molo Church, and beyond to Guimaras island. The living and dining spaces are well-furnished, and there’s plenty of space to relax and socialise. No matter what time of year, the sunsets from our rooftop terrace are stunning.
From the day you arrive, our Iloilo Program Manager is available for 24/7 support. Along with their assistant, they run the house and oversee the rest of the team: our housekeeper, chef and language teacher. Our chef cooks two tasty meals each day and, each week, we have a BBQ night for the whole house. Our teacher provides in-house language lessons twice a week.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
Adding a whole new element to your healthcare placement, our optional village week sees you living with the Ati tribe on a tropical island, learning about local culture and healthcare. Your experience begins by meeting the tribal Chief and taking a tour of the community. Throughout the week, you’ll visit the local clinic and hospital to learn how healthcare is managed using very limited resources.
Each afternoon, you’ll be involved in everything from weaving and handicrafts to traditional games, herbal medicines, and island hopping along the coast. On your final day, you’ll enjoy a BBQ and traditional dancing ceremony.
Placements in the Philippines - Iloilo
"If you’re considering a Work the World placement, my advice would be ‘definitely go!’ It’s the chance of a lifetime, and will open your mind to different cultures and experiences."
Harisah Mukhtar, University of Leeds 2017Read more
" I chose to take the Village Healthcare Experience, and I’m so glad I did"!
Kristen Dahlberg, University of Illinois at Chicago 2015Read more
"There’s so much to learn here, so don’t turn down learning experiences".
Emily Tester, University of Nottingham 2015Read more
The hospital staff made a huge effort to make us feel welcome.
Alex Warriner, University of Edinburgh 2015Read more
an unbelievably life-changing cultural experience
Melanie Nardi, University of New England 2015Read more