Arequipa and beyond
- Arequipa is… “A beautiful Peruvian city, surrounded by the Andes and three iconic volcanoes – built of white stone, it’s a place of dancing, music, and awe-inspiring scenery.”
- Hike along the legendary Inca Trail to the UNESCO ruins of Machu Picchu – the summit views are breathtaking
- Explore the Amazon rainforest, trek beneath the canopy, visit the floating villages on Lake Titicaca, hike up a volcano and go white-water river rafting
- You’ll love the Arequipeños people, with their rich cultural heritage and indigenous Quechua bloodlines
- Intensive Spanish Course: Enhance your Spanish with a week-long language course that focuses on clinical phrases and words
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
A fantastic city to be based in, Arequipa enjoys around 300 days of sunshine a year. Our Work the World house sits 20 minutes from the city’s tourist hub, in a welcoming residential neighbourhood. Spacious and beautifully maintained, it has a laid-back atmosphere and lots of room to socialise. The first floor sun room is a great place to relax and socialise with new friends. The rooftop terrace gives great views of the volcanoes that rise above Arequipa.
Our Arequipa Program Manager and assistant provide 24/7 support, and oversee everything at the house. The rest of the team includes a housekeeper and a chef – look forward to two meals a day, plus our fantastic BBQ nights that are the highlight of each week. Twice-weekly language lessons are hosted by a local teacher.
INTENSIVE SPANISH COURSE
Our Intensive Spanish tuition helps you maximise your time overseas. This week-long course is aimed at those who don’t already speak Spanish at a conversational level.
We’ve worked with the same local language school for years to create a course that is tailored specifically for healthcare students. Each course involves 30 hours of lessons, taught in a small group. It includes a two-day focus on medical history taking, and covers other topics specific to the departments you'll be working in. At the end of your one-week course, you’ll have the confidence and language skills to engage more with locals. This course complements all clinical placements in Peru.
Placements in Peru - Arequipa
"My advice would be GO TO PERU and have the adventure of a lifetime like I did!"
Nicola Looby, Chester University 2017Read more
"To anyone considering spending their summer in Peru with Work the World - GO! It’s an experience of a lifetime that you won’t regret."
Lauren Speakman, Auburn University 2017Read more
"Under supervision I was able to palpate some lumps, discuss X-rays with the consultant, and assist with a cervical biopsy!"
Kate Van Berkel, Monash University 2017Read more
"Each medical case that I saw was as interesting as the next."
Emma Simson van Dijkhuizen, University of Nottingham 2016Read more
"I got back to basics and improved my core skills".
Georgina Lennon, University of Greenwich 2016Read more