Arequipa and beyond
- Arequipa is… “A beautiful Peruvian city, surrounded by the Andes and three iconic volcanoes – built of white stone, it’s a place of dancing, music, and awe-inspiring scenery.”
- Hike along the legendary Inca Trail to the UNESCO ruins of Machu Picchu – the summit views are breathtaking
- Explore the Amazon rainforest, trek beneath the canopy, visit the floating villages on Lake Titicaca, hike up a volcano and go white-water river rafting
- You’ll love the Arequipeños people, with their rich cultural heritage and indigenous Quechua bloodlines
- Intensive Spanish Course: Enhance your Spanish with a week-long language course that focuses on clinical phrases and words
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
A fantastic city to be based in, Arequipa enjoys around 300 days of sunshine a year. Our Work the World house sits 20 minutes from the city’s tourist hub, in a welcoming residential neighbourhood. Spacious and beautifully maintained, it has a laid-back atmosphere and lots of room to socialise. The first floor sun room is a great place to relax and socialise with new friends. The rooftop terrace gives great views of the volcanoes that rise above Arequipa.
Our Arequipa Program Manager and assistant provide 24/7 support, and oversee everything at the house. The rest of the team includes a housekeeper and a chef – look forward to two meals a day, plus our fantastic BBQ nights that are the highlight of each week. Twice-weekly language lessons are hosted by a local teacher.
INTENSIVE SPANISH COURSE
Our Intensive Spanish tuition helps you maximise your time overseas. This week-long course is aimed at those who don’t already speak Spanish at a conversational level.
We’ve worked with the same local language school for years to create a course that is tailored specifically for healthcare students. Each course involves 30 hours of lessons, taught in a small group. It includes a two-day focus on medical history taking, and covers other topics specific to the departments you'll be working in. At the end of your one-week course, you’ll have the confidence and language skills to engage more with locals. This course complements all clinical placements in Peru.
Placements in Peru - Arequipa
"There was no CT scanner, and when I opened up conversation about funding, they noted that it was quite limited."
Jason Brook, Teesside University 2017Read more
"My advice would be GO TO PERU and have the adventure of a lifetime like I did!"
Nicola Looby, University of Chester 2017Read more
"We went through things that were relevant to my role as a radiographer, and even created scripts that would help me rehearse conversations I might end up having with patients."
Jason Brook - Intensive Spanish Course, Teesside University 2017Read more
"To anyone considering spending their summer in Peru with Work the World - GO! It’s an experience of a lifetime that you won’t regret."
Lauren Speakman, Auburn University 2017Read more
"Under supervision I was able to palpate some lumps, discuss X-rays with the consultant, and assist with a cervical biopsy!"
Kate Van Berkel, Monash University 2017Read more