Arequipa and beyond
- Arequipa is… “A beautiful Peruvian city, surrounded by the Andes and three iconic volcanoes – built of white stone, it’s a place of dancing, music, and awe-inspiring scenery.”
- Hike along the legendary Inca Trail to the UNESCO ruins of Machu Picchu – the summit views are breathtaking
- Explore the Amazon rainforest, trek beneath the canopy, visit the floating villages on Lake Titicaca, hike up a volcano and go white-water river rafting
- You’ll love the Arequipeños people, with their rich cultural heritage and indigenous Quechua bloodlines
- Intensive Spanish Course: Enhance your Spanish with a week-long language course that focuses on clinical phrases and words
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
A fantastic city to be based in, Arequipa enjoys around 300 days of sunshine a year. Our Work the World house sits 20 minutes from the city’s tourist hub, in a welcoming residential neighbourhood. Spacious and beautifully maintained, it has a laid-back atmosphere and lots of room to socialise. The first floor sun room is a great place to relax and socialise with new friends. The rooftop terrace gives great views of the volcanoes that rise above Arequipa.
Our Arequipa Program Manager and assistant provide 24/7 support, and oversee everything at the house. The rest of the team includes a housekeeper and a chef – look forward to two meals a day, plus our fantastic BBQ nights that are the highlight of each week. Twice-weekly language lessons are hosted by a local teacher.
INTENSIVE SPANISH COURSE
Our Intensive Spanish tuition helps you maximise your time overseas. This week-long course is aimed at those who don’t already speak Spanish at a conversational level.
We’ve worked with the same local language school for years to create a course that is tailored specifically for healthcare students. Each course involves 30 hours of lessons, taught in a small group. It includes a two-day focus on medical history taking, and covers other topics specific to the departments you'll be working in. At the end of your one-week course, you’ll have the confidence and language skills to engage more with locals. This course complements all clinical placements in Peru.
Placements in Peru - Arequipa
"I learnt a huge amount about practicing medicine with fewer resources, which was eye-opening."
Harjas Shinmar, King's College London 2018Read more
"Husbands and partners weren’t allowed into the unit, which was so different when compared with the UK."
Genevieve Alsop, London South Bank University 2018Read more
"I was in an approachable environment with some of the most open-minded and patient-devoted clinicians I’ve ever met."
Seamus Dines-Muntaner, Queensland University of Technology 2018Read more
"I saw, first hand, the lengths some patients went to to avoid conventional medical treatments, and instead persist with traditional herbal remedies."
Mia Fallon, Monash University 2018Read more
"All of the doctors I saw were amazing, and on a number of occasions I was blown away by their resourcefulness, as well as the fortitude of the patients."
Andrew McKinlay, University of Queensland 2018Read more