Arequipa and beyond
- Arequipa is… “A beautiful Peruvian city, surrounded by the Andes and three iconic volcanoes – built of white stone, it’s a place of dancing, music, and awe-inspiring scenery.”
- Hike along the legendary Inca Trail to the UNESCO ruins of Machu Picchu – the summit views are breathtaking
- Explore the Amazon rainforest, trek beneath the canopy, visit the floating villages on Lake Titicaca, hike up a volcano and go white-water river rafting
- You’ll love the Arequipeños people, with their rich cultural heritage and indigenous Quechua bloodlines
- Intensive Spanish Course: Enhance your Spanish with a week-long language course that focuses on clinical phrases and words
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
A fantastic city to be based in, Arequipa enjoys around 300 days of sunshine a year. Our Work the World house sits 20 minutes from the city’s tourist hub, in a welcoming residential neighbourhood. Spacious and beautifully maintained, it has a laid-back atmosphere and lots of room to socialise. The first floor sun room is a great place to relax and socialise with new friends. The rooftop terrace gives great views of the volcanoes that rise above Arequipa.
Our Arequipa Program Manager and assistant provide 24/7 support, and oversee everything at the house. The rest of the team includes a housekeeper and a chef – look forward to two meals a day, plus our fantastic BBQ nights that are the highlight of each week. Twice-weekly language lessons are hosted by a local teacher.
INTENSIVE SPANISH COURSE
Our Intensive Spanish tuition helps you maximise your time overseas. This week-long course is aimed at those who don’t already speak Spanish at a conversational level.
We’ve worked with the same local language school for years to create a course that is tailored specifically for healthcare students. Each course involves 30 hours of lessons, taught in a small group. It includes a two-day focus on medical history taking, and covers other topics specific to the departments you'll be working in. At the end of your one-week course, you’ll have the confidence and language skills to engage more with locals. This course complements all clinical placements in Peru.
Placements in Peru - Arequipa
"I even went into surgery — a very rare opportunity for an Exercise Physiologist in Australia!"
Elsie Cole, University of Canberra 2018Read more
"The differences in practice I saw in Peru were more than you could even start to imagine."
Madeleine Bonella, University of East Anglia 2018Read more
"The economic burden had an enormous impact on the local healthcare system’s availability to deliver the 'gold standard' care I was used to seeing in the UK."
Cody Thorndyke, University of East Anglia 2018Read more
"Work the World’s Intensive Spanish Course really helped to improve my medical Spanish."
Yara van Dijk, 2018Read more
"I learnt a huge amount about practicing medicine with fewer resources, which was eye-opening."
Harjas Shinmar, King's College London 2018Read more