Arequipa and beyond
- Arequipa is… “A beautiful Peruvian city, surrounded by the Andes and three iconic volcanoes – built of white stone, it’s a place of dancing, music, and awe-inspiring scenery.”
- Hike along the legendary Inca Trail to the UNESCO ruins of Machu Picchu – the summit views are breathtaking
- Explore the Amazon rainforest, trek beneath the canopy, visit the floating villages on Lake Titicaca, hike up a volcano and go white-water river rafting
- You’ll love the Arequipeños people, with their rich cultural heritage and indigenous Quechua bloodlines
- Intensive Spanish Course: Enhance your Spanish with a week-long language course that focuses on clinical phrases and words
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
A fantastic city to be based in, Arequipa enjoys around 300 days of sunshine a year. Our Work the World house sits 20 minutes from the city’s tourist hub, in a welcoming residential neighbourhood. Spacious and beautifully maintained, it has a laid-back atmosphere and lots of room to socialise. The first floor sun room is a great place to relax and socialise with new friends. The rooftop terrace gives great views of the volcanoes that rise above Arequipa.
Our Arequipa Program Manager and assistant provide 24/7 support, and oversee everything at the house. The rest of the team includes a housekeeper and a chef – look forward to two meals a day, plus our fantastic BBQ nights that are the highlight of each week. Twice-weekly language lessons are hosted by a local teacher.
INTENSIVE SPANISH COURSE
Our Intensive Spanish tuition helps you maximise your time overseas. This week-long course is aimed at those who don’t already speak Spanish at a conversational level.
We’ve worked with the same local language school for years to create a course that is tailored specifically for healthcare students. Each course involves 30 hours of lessons, taught in a small group. It includes a two-day focus on medical history taking, and covers other topics specific to the departments you'll be working in. At the end of your one-week course, you’ll have the confidence and language skills to engage more with locals. This course complements all clinical placements in Peru.
Placements in Peru - Arequipa
"All of the doctors I saw were amazing, and on a number of occasions I was blown away by their resourcefulness, as well as the fortitude of the patients."
Andrew McKinlay, University of Queensland 2018Read more
"Thank you, Work the World, for providing such an eye-opening, well-organised trip."
Fiona Ducksbury, University of Central Lancashire 2018Read more
"My placement in Peru was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had and I would go back to do it all in a heartbeat!"
Gigi Lee, Queen's University, Belfast 2018Read more
"There was no CT scanner, and when I opened up conversation about funding, they noted that it was quite limited."
Jason Brook, Teesside University 2017Read more
"My advice would be GO TO PERU and have the adventure of a lifetime like I did!"
Nicola Looby, University of Chester 2017Read more